Ian and Wendy Hollick purchased a piece of grazing land on the southern end of the Coonawarra district in 1974. This small block of land was one of the original allocations in the Coonawarra Fruit Colony which John Riddoch founded in 1890. It was never developed as a fruit block but instead was the site of a tannery, and later a dairy.Since 1975 the Hollicks progressively planted Cabernet Sauvignon, Riesling, Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc. Hollick Wines launched onto the national and international wine scene by winning the 1985 Jimmy Watson Trophy at the Royal Melbourne Wine Show. Demand for the Hollick product was such that expansion was necessary, and in 1987 Ian and Wendy Hollick purchased the nearby "Wilgha" vineyard, to supplement their existing production. In 1998 the Hollicks developed their vineyard in the neighbouring region of Wrattonbully, adding further diversification and regional variation to the portfolio.