The House of Sandeman was founded in London in 1790 by George Sandeman, a young Scot from Perth who decided to invest £300 borrowed from his father in creating a business marketing wines from Porto (Portugal) and Jerez (Spain ).
Always a pioneer, Sandeman was the first company to brand its name on a cask with a hot iron. In 1805, the GSC (George Sandeman Co.) signature was a guarantee of quality for the wine it sold. It was also one of the first companies to label and advertise its wines, which in the early nineteenth century were already being exported to several countries in Europe, North and South America, Africa and Asia.
The "Sandeman Don" is one of the world's first ever brand images and the first major icon in the wine world. It was painted in 1928 by George Massiot Brown and, with its Coimbra (Portuguese) student's black cape and the typical Jerez (Spanish) "sombrero", it still retains all its mystique and attractiveness, to represent the seduction and mystery of the Sandeman brand.
Subscribe to our FREE mailing list to be kept up-to-date with our special offers, exclusive parcels of wine and wine tasting events.